Salmon Niçoise Salad
8 oz. small purple potatoes
4 oz. green beans, trimmed
6 large eggs, room
2 tbsp. plus ¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup drained capers, patted dry
1 pound skin-on salmon fillet
Freshly ground black pepper
4 anchovy fillets packed in oil
1 tbsp whole grain mustard (make sure it’s compliant)
½ medium shallot, finely chopped
4 cups frisée
¼ cup niçoise olives, pitted
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and add cold water to cover by 1".
- Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until fork-tender, 15−20 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Return water to a boil and cook green beans in the same saucepan until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water. Chill until cold, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry.
- Return water in pot to a boil and cook eggs (8 minutes – if you want runnier yolks, I would go for 6-7). Transfer eggs to bowl of ice water and chill until cold, about 5 minutes. Peel; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add capers and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until capers burst and are crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer capers with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Let oil cool; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Rub salmon all over with reserved caper oil and place on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast until medium-rare (fish will be slightly translucent in the center), 10−12 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, mash anchovies and mustard in a large bowl to form a coarse paste.
- Remove peel and white pith from lemon. Working over bowl, cut between membranes of lemon to release segments. Squeeze remaining juice from membranes into bowl; discard membranes.
- Whisk in shallot, then slowly whisk in remaining ¼ cup oil.
- Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, break salmon into large flakes; discard skin.
- Halve reserved potatoes and eggs crosswise.
- Arrange frisée on a platter; season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with half of dressing. Top in separate piles with potatoes, green beans, hard-boiled eggs, olives, and salmon.
- Drizzle salad with remaining dressing and top with fried capers.
Original recipe from Bon Appétit