Chicken Cacciatore With Mushrooms & Tomatoes
½ ounce dried mushrooms, like porcini (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 to 8 skinless chicken legs and/or thighs (thighs can be boneless)
1 small onion, minced
1 small carrot, minced
3 ribs celery, minced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh minced Italian parsley
1 heaped teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
½ cup chicken bone broth
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes in juice, pulsed in a food processor
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl or heat-proof glass measuring cup and pour on 2 cups boiling water.
- Let sit 15 to 30 minutes, until mushrooms are softened.
- Drain through a strainer lined with cheesecloth or a paper towel and set over a bowl. Rinse the mushrooms in several changes of water, squeeze out excess water and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Measure out 1 cup of the soaking liquid and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown, in batches, for 5 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a bowl as they are done.
- Pour the fat off from the pan and discard.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add the remaining oil and the onion, carrot and celery, as well as a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- Cover, turn the heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the mixture is soft and aromatic. S
- tir in the fresh and dried mushrooms, turn the heat back up to medium, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are just tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chicken bone broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, until the broth has reduced by about half.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down a little and smell fragrant.
- Stir in the mushroom soaking liquid that you set aside.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan and stir so that they are well submerged in the tomato mixture.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Taste, adjust seasoning.
Recipe adapted from Martha Rose for New York Times Cooking